On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Brad Nicholes wrote:

>      This patch adds the directives LogRotateDaily and LogRotateInterval
> to the mod_log_config modules.  These directives allow all of the custom
> logs to be automatically rotated on either a daily basis or at a
> specific interval.  This patch is based on a previous patch that was
> submitted by Bertrand Demiddelaer.
>      One of the problems that we have had on NetWare is the lack of a
> way to automatically rotate the log files.  NetWare is unable to use the
> RotateLog utility due to the fact that the OS does not support pipes.
> This patch is being submitted as a general patch rather than a NetWare
> specific patch so that other platforms can take advantage of it if they
> choose to.  If there are objections to this patch I could submit it as a
> NetWare only fix.  If there are no objections, I would like to go ahead
> and check it in.

This patch is a major security problem on Unix, since you should not have
your log files writable by the user apache runs as.  They should only
be writable by the user that starts Apache (normally root).  This means
child processes can not reopen logs.

BTW, please try to include patches in the body of the message instead of
as binary attachments.