> Having it separated out like you have just changed it to is going
> to cause lots of problems for us maintaining it.  While your

As to wether this is realistic: From apache-1.3/src/support/ab.c:

        #define VERSION "1.3d"

which has been there for some XXX years and allowed us to compare
ab results across version releases of apache reliably.

I agree that with 2.0 the problem is worse - as we also need to
version in APR - and for this reason it may be that we either
need to move ab out of the 2.0 tree and into its own space OR
also print out the version of APR and the version of Apache it
sits in:

   Version: ab/1.4a  Distribution: apache/2.0.35 Apr: apr/2.0.27bis

or something along those lines. In general we have a larger can of
worms - apache now crucially depends on APR without all that much
decoupling - so apache's version number either implies an APR number or
the latter needs to be visible. The same fun implies to the tags applied
in the tree.

Dw