On 20 May 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ianh        02/05/19 17:07:33
>
>   Modified:    modules/filters mod_deflate.c
>   Log:
>   content with "Content-Encoding" header, content is encoded.
>   But mod_deflate does not check it. It cause to encode content twice.
>
>   This problem is reproducable by getting encoded content via mod_proxy.
>
>   Patch Contributed by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ASADA Kazuhisa)
>   Bug #9222

Whoa, wait a minute.  That doesn't strike me as the right solution.  The
encoding should be one-hop only.  If it's encoded and we want to maintain
that encoding, chances are we'll have to decode it and re-encode it later.
Why you ask?  Because leaving it encoded makes it impossible to apply
another filter on the proxy server (eg mod_include).  Now perhaps if we
can guarantee that there are no other filters in the chain that will want
to modify the content *and* that the client can actually accept the
encoding, then as an optimization we can pass the data through the filter
chain still encoded.  But that would only be an optimization.  And it
seems like it could be tricky to get it to always work doing it that way,
perhaps.  (Is there ever a case where the client does not accept an
encoding but the proxy does?)

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]