On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 09:47:28AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > - As OtherBill pointed out, HEAD must remain 2.0.
>
> Maybe HEAD should be the development trunk, while we branch off
> minor (and patch) revisions for stabalization.

HEAD needs to be the main development branch due to the way CVS
works.

Retrieving any version other than HEAD out of the repository requires
patching back to the branchpoint, then forward along the branch.

This means that you want branches to go away sooner rather than later,
and you want to have HEAD the latest thing that new branches get
created off.

The root of the issue here, though, isn't how to use whatever tool
is used.  It is an issue of release management.  If you can't decide
that branch x is a stable branch, branch y is designed for new features
x, y, z and we will allow adding new features until date d1, then
stabilize the tree until it is ready, then release... you will never
solve the problem and you will always end up with staggeringly long
release cycles that no tool can fix.

Yes, doing this is hard and requires a couple of people who are willing
to keep it on track.  But unless we can do this we will end up with
every branch or revision being a matter of a completely new product,
which is essentially what 1.3 to 2.0 is.  I don't think release cycles
that long are condusive to retaining developers or to producing a
product that users are comfortable with upgrading from one version
to another of.

Another alternative would be to say that only changes that take no
more than a few weeks or a month to stabilize are necessary now,
so we would be fine just going along with the current HEAD and
branching off previous releases if necessary for urgent bug or security
fixes.