> Let's do this in 2.1 by splitting out the file system,
> and if the filesystem module isn't handling a request, it won't be serving
> content but also won't be invoking the directory walk or stat-ing files.

this all sounds kinda interesting, and similar to the way auth has been set
up in 2.1 - more directives and modules, but more flexibility and power.

> Oh last observation - it should become (in 2.1) nearly impossible for folks
> to just bork around with the contents of r->filename and r->finfo, first by
> stripping them from the request rec, and second by providing an API to
> the filesystem module that lets another module link into another file.
> That API would prevent module authors from bypassing the filesystem
> module's internal security.

this has come up before, and I'd love to see an API that prevents accidental
disagreement between r->filename and r->finfo (for one).  IIRC, there was
supposed to be some discussion at the hackathon about this, but it sounds
like I didn't miss it :)

--Geoff