William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
At 12:17 PM 2/5/2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

I do, however, agree that doing a directory-walk on virtual resources is
not nice.  But my opinion is that "virtualness" is a property of the
resource, and hence should be designated when selecting the resource.
That is why I suggested changing SetHandler rather than <Location>.

And perhaps I'm going way off in left field here, but why should this be user-configurable at all? Shouldn't the (for example) server-status handler know itself that it is a virtual handler, and therefore indicate that the directory-walk should be skipped?

For example, yes.  But on the other hand, what prevents someone from
removing the server-status handler in the fixups phase and tricking us into
serving a file.

sounds like we're getting into defense mechanisms against hypothetical malicious modules... a loosing battle IMO

I'd like to see the default handler entirely detached from the request if the
dir_walk code has been bypassed.

if it's zero cost/dirt cheap in mainline code, I don't mind.

Greg