On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:38:48AM +0100, André Malo wrote:
> * Joe Orton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Shouldn't this be a minor MMN bump?
> >
> > I dunno, I don't really see the point in bumping the minor MMN more than
> > once between releases and it's already been bumped three times since
> > .48.
> >
> > In my mind an API is fixed in stone and supported only once it makes it
> > to a release tarball; anything in CVS is subject to change, removal etc.
> > So I'd say exactly one minor MMN bump is sufficient to differentiate the
> > new 2.0.49 API from the old 2.0.4[78] API.  Maybe opinions differ...
>
> Hmm. Third party development doesn't only occur after a release. I find
> these bumps in addition to their compat function also very good as a
> documenting tool (so we should at least add a short description about the
> bucket thing to the last bump).

No argument about docs...

> w.r.t. changes in CVS - we're in a stable branch. Nothing should be removed
> here after added (except Bugs ;-). If we start to work that way you
> described outside the development branch, then there's something
> really wrong.

Oh yes, I'm not trying to revise the backport policy :) Just making the
point that mistakes can happen: maybe someone commits the wrong file, a
backport merge gets typoed, a major issue comes up with a new API which
then needs to be reverted, etc.

That's why I'd say "it's in 2.0 CVS" should not necessarily imply "it's
a supported set-in-stone API" even though it probably (and hopefully)
always will.

joe