Joe Orton wrote:
Wouldn't it be simpler to just check for a brigade containing just EOS
and do nothing for that case in the first place?
Yes I had considered that. The initial patch covered some pathological
cases but after having looked over the code some more I think the simpler
more efficient way of bailing on just EOS is sufficient.

But the fact that the proxy passes such a brigade through the output
filters in the first place sounds like the real bug, it doesn't happen
for a non-proxied 304 response.
Whether or not this is a bug I guess is open for debate. What happens
for non proxied error responses is that ap_send_error_response resets
r->output_flters to r->proto_output_filters so the deflate filter is
taken out of the respone path. In the proxy path there is no such logic
for error responses, so error pages would get zipped. But I don't know
that this violates the RFC and browsers seem to be able to handle it.

Allan