* Nick Kew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Our shipping with AddDefaultCharset preconfigured is causing lots of
> pages to be served with a bogus charset, typically where authors
> rely on <meta http-equiv ...> and either don't know how to fix it
> or lack permission.

*shrug*, removing AddDefaultCharset creates the same kind of problem, just
other way 'round.

> Bundling AddDefaultCharsets help users fix this.

What does that mean?

> But really we need
> to do two more things.  One is to update the documentataion - perhaps
> a tutorial on the subject.

This doesn't solve the problem, you've described above. If it's a lack of
permission, the tutorial won't help. If it's missing knowledge, the brand new
tutorial won't even be read (same as documentation before).

> The other is to turn multiviews on by
> default, so authors whose sysops stick with defaults and offer no
> privileges can deal with it without having to hardwire

The purpose of the shipped default config is not to administer all the
boxes out there. It's just a goodie that you can see, that your apache is
running.

I'm very -1 on turning on MultiViews, since it's very annonying (and
expensive) if you don't want it (and you have a lazy sysadmin, lack of
permissions like described above).

Actually I think, it would be way better to shorten the default config to
something very small, which just shows the indexpage and let the people
configure their server themselves. And hey, suddenly the bug reports go to the
admins (where they belong) and not to us.

> Does this make sense?  Or could we simply drop the AddDefaultCharset
> from the installation default as suggested by Duerst and others?

Pragmatically, I think, let's just drop it and we're fine :)

nd
--
Winnetous Erbe: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>