Roy T. Fielding wrote:
That line is for the product name, not the project name.

And - I understood that our product is the Apache HTTP Server, not httpd.
At least that's been the consensus in the docs project for the last three
years.

Well, the docs project consensus is wrong.  Our main product is httpd
(one of several products) and our project is Apache HTTP Server Project.

Change it back, please.  It isn't important enough to stop the release,
but I really don't appreciate people tweaking a file that I edited myself
just a couple weeks ago to contain the correct legal information.

Well, as I read it it was the incorrect legal information based on the
project's evolution and group concensus.  My appologies if I'm wrong.
What is wrong with this page (and the rest of the website and project
files and...):

  http://httpd.apache.org/

Your title "httpd" is definately wrong.  NCSA was httpd.  Others ship httpd.
This being "Apache httpd" at the very least invalidated the original NOTICE.

httpd is the name of -one- binary in the Apache HTTP Server, which includes
a host of other binaries (e.g. support/) and the NOTICE file you placed
there applies to them all, no?

I have this nagging suspicion that once again the project has offended
your sensibilities while your back was turned.  Please be assured it wasn't
intentional, but that we had this back-and-forth for months before the
-project- determined it creates the Apache HTTP Server.  A recent comment
to Mark reaffirms it, I didn't see your response?

I'm happy to change it to whatever it is supposed to be, which is [...]?

Bill