Just wanted to add my two cents worth...

We are using mod_line_edit a lot and would like to see a similar functionality coming with Apache by default. :-)

When I am correct mod_line_edit has the 'wrong' license model for being included into Apache by default.

Just for your infomation: There are more modules having a similar functionality:

http://mod-replace.sourceforge.net/
http://yomi.2288.org/forum/ftopic22.html (given by http://modules.apache.org/search?id=857)
http://happygiraffe.net/mod_sed.html (VERY old)

All modules are missing a feature we would like to see: Like in mod_rewrite's RewriteMap it would be cool to specify a function being called on the argument while replacing. E.g.:

RewriteBodyLine 'http://(.*?)/(.*)/(.*)' 'http://${LOWERCASE:$1}/${MD5:$2}/$3'

... as I told before: Just my $.2

P.S.: And I vote for a better name like 'mod_filter_pcre' ...