On Mar 14, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

Oh, I guess you mean the copying to get a null-terminated string
when applying a regexp?  And I see it's repeated for every regexp
(ouch)!  mod_line_edit uses a local pool which is cleared at the
end of each brigade, and avoids multiple copies of the same buffer.

Hmmm... I'm confused. The way I do it is:

loop over sed scripts
  loop over buckets
    read bucket
      make copy of bucket data for regex comparison

so everytime we read in bucket data, I have to make
a null-termed string. It changes with each bucket.
So I don't understand the issue with it being "repeated
for every regexp". How can that be avoided?

I reuse allocated space (I don't just simply keep
making strdups)... so yeah, there will be a chunk
of allocated spool still hanging around. So maybe
making that a subpool and then clearing/destroying
it would be best.