On May 24, 2007, at 8:50 AM, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 08:05:30AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
External links are encouraged where they add substantial value, but
you may not link to your own pages or otherwise seek private benefits
from external links.

I like the elegance of this rule, because if it's your page and you
words, well you can just add the content to the wiki anyway. But at the
same time it may invite even more awkward and inappropriate behaviour,
e.g. paying someone else to add the links on your behalf.

I think this problem is always going to fall into the "We know abuse
when we see it" category, it requires a vague kind of rule-making which
only humans can apply.

I'm in favour of banning these links in this instance, though not all
external links.

+1