This happens afterwards in ap_proxy_connection_create and not for mod_proxy_ajp
as
mod_proxy_ajp does not call ap_proxy_connection_create. This was fixed by
your patch in r546128.

> > 2. We do not have a proxy_server_conf parameter in
> ap_proxy_connect_backend
> >    like in ap_proxy_connect_to_backend.
> >
> > 3. ap_proxy_connect_backend is part of a public API (mod_proxy.h).
> >
> > 4. Fixing the prototype of ap_proxy_connect_backend to add
> a proxy_server_conf
> >    parameter thus requires a major bump. Thus this would
> not be backportable :-(.
> >
> > I am not quite sure if we can do
> >
> >     void *sconf = s->module_config;
> >     proxy_server_conf *conf = (proxy_server_conf *)
> >         ap_get_module_config(sconf, &proxy_module);
>
> See modules/proxy/mod_proxy_balancer.c

Thanks for the pointer, but I stick to my opinion that this is ugly
there. But possibly we can go for the ugly way in 2.2.x and for the
API change in trunk.

> BTW: ping is not documented in the 2.2 doc, why?

Nobody backported the docs so far ;-). Seriously, currently I see no
other reason than this.

Regards

Rüdiger