On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 08:47:03PM +1000, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>> Yes, it is obviously an alternative, but FastCGI has its own sets of
>> quirks, and PHP under CGI too (as far as I know; I'm no PHP user).
> Quirks such as? Am not asking to dispute that there aren't any, just
> asking out of ignorance as to what they are so I can learn something.

I haven't been particularly involved with it at the local installation here,
but I've seen problems with FastCGI stuff hanging, not dealing well with
scripts leaking memory, and being difficult to set up. In general, it didn't
make people happy. (It may make other people very happy; people differ.)

> And I think you will have similar problems with mod_perl as well given
> that it relies to a degree on preloading and caching of Perl modules
> as well.

It depends on your application. If you're using Apache::Registry to just
accelerate your CGI-like scripts, it won't help much. OTOH, you can easily
preload Perl modules using PerlModule directives, which will then be
available and loaded before the fork. Of course, this could also include your
entire application if it's not Apache::Registry; we do this in production.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/