On Jun 21, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 05:51:34PM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 09:29:25PM -0000, Jim Jagielski wrote:
Secondly: I think this approach is unnecessarily complex. I think it's
sufficient to simply check whether the target process is in the right
process group before sending a signal, i.e. getpgid(pid) == getpgrp ().
This ensures that the parent will only kill things it created.

I actually thought avoiding this was a design goal, to prevent someone
from killing piped loggers and cgi processes ?

Yes, that's the case.