On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Joe Orton wrote:

Firstly my sincere apologies to Jim for bringing this up after such
considerable work was put in already - I've had a busy month with a week
out for a holiday :(

Secondly: I think this approach is unnecessarily complex. I think it's
sufficient to simply check whether the target process is in the right
process group before sending a signal, i.e. getpgid(pid) == getpgrp().
This ensures that the parent will only kill things it created.

If:

  1. The required getpgid/getpgrp functions are available
     on all current systems, and...
  2. it provides as much protection as the more...
     "exacting"...  check, then

I have no real push one way or another...