On 27.09.2007, at 10:05, François wrote:

2007/9/27, William A. Rowe, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[...] Here at [EMAIL PROTECTED] we are trying to create a better server, and having fun in the process. As long as we don't splinter the effort of improving httpd server or make more work for the project members, we'll all have fun
at it.  I'm not picking on you, let's solve the issues.

Bill

And the "we, for fun against you, for profit" argument is well demonstrated by a more recent mail of Nick Kew:
"Some apache developers, including myself[1], make a living doing
contract work for companies with development needs, such as yours.
If you have a budget, I'll be happy to talk to you.  The fact you're
looking to make it available as open source will qualify you for
a reduction in my standard rate."

(And you talk about spam regarding apachelounge, please...)

Thus, Apache commiters or developers are developping for fun (sometimes for fame) AND profit. ...

Sure, we all have to pay our bills but you're overlooking a difference: Nick just replied to an inquiry offering his (and others services); he doesn't advertise any revenue-generating site after every release etc. etc... ;-0

Again, Steffens contributions would be very welcomed *here* if this whole AL thing were just not that misleading - hey, with some effort he could e.g. help out constructively by building these binaries in a transparent and documented way *here* and we could even distribute them from apache.org/dist (plus mirrors) to help the win community even more!

Just my 2c...

Cheers,
Erik