Erik Abele wrote:

> Sure, we all have to pay our bills but you're overlooking a difference:
> Nick just replied to an inquiry offering his (and others services); he
> doesn't advertise any revenue-generating site after every release etc.
> etc... ;-0

Nick's comment didn't even mention he does this exclusively, he pointed
out that there are a number of devs or organizations who can provide such
services, and was *probably* letting the user know that the scope of their
troubles was not going to elicit them enough purely voulenteer help.

> Again, Steffens contributions would be very welcomed *here* if this
> whole AL thing were just not that misleading - hey, with some effort he
> could e.g. help out constructively by building these binaries in a
> transparent and documented way *here* and we could even distribute them
> from apache.org/dist (plus mirrors) to help the win community even more!

I want to be sure folks understand that the relabeling that Steffan and
the AL team have already done went a long way to satisfying almost any
of the project's possible concerns; the Feather is gone, disclaimers are
posted.  W.r.t. actually creating or distributing RC's, Colm's points
went a long way to convince me they can be helpful --- that is if and only
if the feedback gets back to where it might be useful to improving the s/w.

Also note we only post binaries from committers; we can't/won't elicit
or host them for add'l third parties.  So for example, any committer
is welcome to post updated sun .pkg's.  But we wouldn't accept those
from Sun.  The origin of all of the files under
   http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/
is from an Apache httpd project committer, each of whom is bound to a CLA
(to resolve any possible IP/trust issues.)

Bill