Joshua Slive wrote:

We have better things to do.  Let's do those things and stop worrying
about other people's perceptions.

I agree, with a caveat. I think that we are doing a disservice to our
users if we don't communicate to them the attitude of the people on
this mailing list towards 1.3. In particular, I don't think our main
page or download page is currently clear enough about the status of
1.3 development. I think we should say something like:

"The Apache HTTP Server version 1.3 is not recommended and is not
being actively developed. It /may/ continue to receive updates for
major security issues, but other updates are unlikely. We recommend
that you choose version 2.2 in its place."

This is a reasonable step, but like Roy I don't think an announcement as originally proposed is necessarily a good idea.

People who are on v1.3 today are probably still on v1.3 for reasons of their own choice, they'll move when they're ready. An announcement with best intentions may bring out criticism from people who feel pressure to upgrade when they would rather choose not to.

Regards,
Graham