Josh,

On Feb 8, 2008, at 5:18 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

On Feb 6, 2008, at 10:26 PM, josh rotenberg wrote:

grr, this cold is making me dumber than usual. the link:

http://code.google.com/p/modmemcachecache/

Shame I did not discover your code before !

Mine(1) looks fairly very similar - Except I sort of started with apr_brigade_pflatten() as well - but then removed it to see if that would let me cut off things which are too large earlier - and then got into the mess of re-allocing and what not. But that was propably the wrong path. Let me see if I can merge things a bit.

Ok - more or less merged a lot between both modules (2) --- al the good bits are yours :) Does that make sense to you ?

Issues I am particularly torn over are:

- change from re-alloc to brigades -- but this means we have 100-500k chunks sitting in memory 2x or 3x

---> ultimately perhaps apr_memcache needs to understands the brigades perhaps.

- passing of the info glob -- I guess we should make it perhaps number \0number\0 or something for convenience and speed ?

- I am making MD5 keys -- you are trusting the URI. What is best really ?

-       create/open -- we could fetch it all already then.

-       Or defer to the actual header/body routines - as you and I do now.

- Or just 'punt' and store the thing as one big wack - as generally you are
        propably going to need both ?

- Or should we get more clever and make the "Key" not just the URI but everything under VARY -- but if we do that -- we should really do that for mod_cache so
        that all modules would benefit - i.e. mod_disk_cache.

What are your thoughts ?

Dw

1: http://www.webweaving.org/tmp/mod_memcached-hack.c

2 ttp://www.webweaving.org/tmp/mod_memcached-hack-2.c