Even better - very cool patch!! Like many people, I'm interested primarily in simulating real world traffic and round_robin doesn't really cut it.

So is it in SVN or... ?

Skye

On 17-Mar-08, at 10:54 AM, Guy Ferraiolo wrote:

It works a bit differently because it does text substitution. That's a more general case and is much more common for our needs. Here's how it
would work in your case:

1.      use a requesttemplate
2.      the URL would be http://w${RANVAR}.example.com/file.html
        RANVAR is the substitution variable, you can pick your
        variable names and have more than one in a URL
3.      create a substitution file containing lines with the text
        you want substituted as (example file name mysubstfile):
        0000\n
        0001\n
        9999\n
4.      Have a config file with a subst_list entry like this

        <subst_list>
                <subst_entry>
                        <subst_var>RANVAR</subst_var>
                        <subst_file>/path-to/mysubstfile</subst_file>
                <subst_entry>
        <subst_list>

The win is that the subst file can contain lots of things beyond random
numbers.  It's very easy to create a subst file from an access log and
get very good agreement with your actual traffic.  So URLs like
http://example.com/?q=${QUERYFROMREALTRAFFIC} work fine.  You can do
port numbers too.

Very large subst files work fine.

Guy