On 2 Sep 2008, at 9:58 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Mladen Turk wrote:
Basically if you add additional config directive it cannot be backported.

Cannot isn't quite fair... it simply makes it less likely to be accepted. Essentially you ask yourself, is this fixing a bug or problem with 2.2, or is it a new feature that should be added and instead of distracting the devs from releasing 2.4.0, should the emphasis be on getting the new version released?

OK, it sounds like I should give up on the 2.2 backport anyway, which is fine. (It's easy enough for me to backport and apply locally if I need it.) And in that case, there's no rush on this feature, so the devs can decide their own priorities regarding 2.4.0.

I would like to write something that others can/will use, if possible.