On 6/2/2010 2:06 PM, Sergey Chernyshev wrote:

> I'm not a person to show you urgency here, but I have a feeling that 2.4
> is 2-3 years away from production web sites (correct me if I'm wrong
> here). And it might be too long to wait for these fundamental
> performance optimizations.

I rather think it will over the next 12 months.  2.4 will not be radically
different (unlike the 1.3 -> 2.0 transition) but will offer such blindingly
superior code improvements to the mod_proxy_* and mod_*_cache that users
really won't want to stay behind (much like the 2.0 -> 2.2 transition).
My theory, YMMV.

We do, in the tarball, plus we host it at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

> No, I'm not overthinking it - as Bryan mentioned before, hosting
> providers are not configuring stuff and relying on httpd project to
> provide viable defaults.

We do not distribute an application which is suitable for modification by
untrusted individuals within a shared mass hosting environment.

Legitimate hosting providers must do their research and understand the
product, it's not ment for such consumption "out of the box".  Neither
are the root-owned files of your typical operating system, either.