On Jun 2, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Sergey Chernyshev wrote:

> No, I'm not overthinking it - as Bryan mentioned before, hosting providers
> are not configuring stuff and relying on httpd project to provide viable
> defaults.

Have you considered that the default settings are fine for the vast majority of
deployments?  Even for hosting services?

> They are in business of selling services, not development and best practices
> on the web and that slows down improvements (in this case performance).

What slows down improvements for everyone, hosters and users alike, is the
putrid mess in existence on the client side and the requirement that we target
the lowest common denominator.  As we have once again learned this week, even
Deflate is not something that we can just enable in the expectation that it
will work with all clients.

Your hoster is likely not interested in fielding angry phone calls from their
customers, whose customers' pages inexplicably don't load right because of a
problem in the way they handle transfer encoding.  That's a business decision
for them: wetware staffing the phone or a potential increase in bandwidth.

If your performance requirements outstrip the (technical or service)
capabilities of your hoster, you'll have to look for other options.  It seems
to me that the hosting market is extremely commoditized at this point: there
should be plenty of choice.  If you still need more performance, you'll get
your own infrastructure which you can then configure to your heart's desire.

> It's another part of performance movement to help them decide and show that
> gzip saves more money in traffic then it takes in CPU, for example.

Documentation and education are good.  Improving the documentation is
especially good, since it ships with every server.  I believe you have already
started working on that: good idea.

S.

--
Sander Temme