On 10.08.2010 20:30, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

On 08/10/2010 07:55 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
On Aug 5, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Jung
Sent: Donnerstag, 5. August 2010 13:14
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Rephrasing " worker already used"

The message "worker ... already used by another worker" seems
to not say
what's actually happening.

Situation:

ProxyPass /X http://a.b.c.d/A
ProxyPass /Y http://a.b.c.d/AB

Wouldn't a message

worker "http://a.b.c.d/A"; will also be used for URL "/Y"

be more correct?

In addition: we do overwrite the worker config (additional
attributes)
when parsing the second ProxyPass. Should we add a message

Merging configuration for worker "http://a.b.c.d/A";
Actually it doesn't merge the configuration. For some parameters like
timeout they get overwritten with the defaults if not configured again in the
ProxyPass directive. So

ProxyPass /X http://a.b.c.d/A timeout=5
ProxyPass /Y http://a.b.c.d/AB

Will result in a worker http://a.b.c.d/A with timeout set to the default value
(ProxyTimeout / Timeout).

The question is whether this should be expected... I feel that
the docs could be clearer that in many cases, we are looking
at prefixes, and not distinct entities.

IMHO this is not expected. Rainer already indicted that he intends to change
this.
I think if we do not create a new worker in this situation, but using the
existing
one we should at most overwrite the explicitly set parameters, but do not reset
parameters to default values.

I applied a change to trunk in r987854.

Now all setting of the later worker, which doesn't actually get created are ignored. If there are explicit settings for the worker, a warning about the specific settings eing ignored is logged.

Furthermore the "worker is used by another worker" sentence has been rephrased as "Sharing worker 'URL1' instead of creating new worker 'URL2'".

Finally I added a paragraph about worker sharing to the proxy docs.

IMHO these changes are a candidate for backport.

Still not improved: all ordering issues. At the moment it depends on the ordering of the worker definitions in the config, whether worker sharing happens or not. Also dependent on the order is e.g. which ProxyPass wins in case multiple of those apply. This is documented.

Regards,

Rainer