On 11/12/2010 03:04 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Bryan McQuade<bmcqu...@google.com>  wrote:
Hi. I have read the docs but I have a few questions regarding server
reloads. Under what conditions will httpd reread its conf file? Will httpd
also reload its shared modules when updating conf files? I am trying to make
sure that updating a conf and corresponding so on disk with a newer version
would not cause problems for a running httpd instance. Are there cases where
it is dangerous to install a newer version of a so and conf file while httpd
is running?

The conf files will only be re-read on a graceful restart (or sending
SIGUSR1 to the parent process, which is the same thing).

You may want to verify this with others (or by a simple test), but
iirc anything loaded with LoadModule or LoadFile is reloaded at the
same time.

I've had problems at times where when I installed an additional php extension and greacefully restarted Apache mod_php stoppen working properly. This is most likely a problem of mod_php and not Apache but you might take it into consideration that while Apache might reload it's modules these modules might not handle this properly.

Regards,
  Dennis