On 30 Nov 2011, at 9:21 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> I'm not suggesting changing the alpha prefix.  Just block out
> ranges so that any listing of the codes is grouped by module that
> emits them.

From my experience, any attempt at grouping some kind of numbering like this
normally results a few years later in an attempt to undo the grouping to solve
problems caused by the ranges being too small, or running out of numbers of a
sensible size.

Ideally it should be as simple as possible, "run a script and a number will be
chosen for you" is a lot more convenient, and if a script could warn of
duplicated numbers for fixing (think the result of cut-and-paste by someone
unfamiliar with the script) that would be ideal too.

Regards,
Graham