svn:externals is only a client-side mechanism. This will not bring
log-message-tags/ into the branch, and especially not within the tag.

In essence, you will not be able to recreate any specific state in
time (or a release!) because of this. The repository doesn't actually
reflect the state that you're trying to capture.

You could construct a tarball for 2.4.x, but a week later, that
tarball cannot be reconstructed. The checksums will not match. etc.

My suggestion would be to add a step to the T&R instructions to do a
merge from trunk over to the branch before processing a release. Thus,
the branch will get a snapshot of the log-message-tags at the time of
release.

Cheers,
-g