On Tuesday 19 March 2013, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> This would be EXTREMELY easy just using ->notes

But having to do a hash lookup in ->notes on every read from the
network seems rather inefficient to me. I think an optional function
or a field in conn_rec would be better.

If we added field in conn_rec, we could also add a number of other
flags for things that may be interesting and don't have a flag right
now. E.g.

- is HTTP
- was updated from HTTP to something else
- connection to next hop is encrypted
- user-agent sees https (for URLs); IIRC there was something in the
mod_spdy slides that something like this is missing.
- httpd is client / connection is to a remote server
- lingering close should be shortened (used by mod_reqtimeout. Right
now, this is also a note).

That's just ideas, currently. I haven't really thought this through.

About your current solution of removing the reqtimeout from the filter
chain: There is a long standing open issue that the edge connection
filter cannot be removed, see STATUS. I haven't really investigated if
this affects mod_wstunnel, but someone should check that if we intend
to keep this solution.