Am 01.05.2013 14:09, schrieb Marian Marinov:
> On 05/01/2013 03:00 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> and YES making DOS-attacks easier is treatet as security risk by any
>> professional auditor and there where i work "threat middle" means
>> "fix it or shut down the customers project" and the last  time i got
>> this was by a not visible protection against Slowloris from the view
>> of the security-scanner
>>
>> here you have something to read and learn that more and more attacks
>> are done this way by exhausting ressources without high bandwith and
>> THIS are the real problems server-admins have to fight and not the noise
>> you see on your small site
>>
>> http://www.slashroot.in/slowloris-http-dosdenial-serviceattack-and-prevention
>>

> I have to agree that delaying 'malicious' requests is opening the servers to
> DoS attacks and SHOULD NOT be the
> default!
> This is not a solution to the problem. In fact what we have done was to
> automatically disable the delaying during
> excessive usage

and keep in mind that a SELF-DOS happens faster as someone thinks

* server with let say "MaxClients 150"
* hosting 500 domains on this machine (yes this is no problem these days)
* now you can start to calculate how many 404 errors in a specific timeframe
are likely
* some of the 500 domains are pages with 50 images
* in this HIGH LIKELY scenario you want to serve ANY connection as fast as
possible

i have seen webservers dying way too often

and this starts ALWAYS with load reaching a peak where all your slots are
busy and the amount of client machines which try to connect does not get
lower and after a specific point of load you have no way to survive

load in the context of a webserver means also connections

* a website with 50 images
* the website URL is called in the daily news on a TV sender
* now you have 50000 people which try to open the page more or less at the same
time
* this means more then 2.5 Mio requests, you can serve 150 at the same time
* god beware you from 50 of your 150 slots are burried by "slow down the client"