On 07 Feb 2014, at 3:54 PM, j...@apache.org wrote:

> Author: jim
> Date: Fri Feb  7 13:54:38 2014
> New Revision: 1565657

> Log:
> Add in the concept of "slave" connections...
> Allows for several "connections" all resulting in
> a single real connection that talks to the network.
> Right now, nothing uses this though.

Nice.

We also need the option to associate an arbitrary socket[1] to the slave
connection, which could be created by mod_proxy, obtained from a connection
pool, etc. I guess that is further down.

> +/** Create a slave connection
> + * @param c The connection to create the slave connection from/for
> + * @return The slave connection
> + */
> +AP_CORE_DECLARE(conn_rec *) ap_create_slave_connection(conn_rec *c);

How would we handle a connection pool scenario?

Here, we arrive, grab a connection from our pool, now we need to associate it
with the frontend connection somehow. Ideally the pool cleanups should cover
all the scenarios of tearing this down, returning to the connection pool, etc.

It depends on whether it is worth teaching the core how to be aware of
connection pools, or if that is a step too far.

Regards,
Graham