On 27.03.2014 20:44, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> Do we have a robust, free tool that, given a single X.509 EE cert, can do
>> automagic fetching and trying of all
>> combinations of these things and produce a reasonable PEM-encoded
>> SSLCertificateChainFile on stdout?

s/Chain// for 2.4.9 and later (see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_ssl.html#sslcertificatefile)

>> If we had such a tool, then the detection code in mod_ssl could just
>> encourage people to run that tool.
>
> How about not fixing stuff in mod_ssl but only create a patch for a support
> tool
> for httpd (like rotatelogs, etc.) that does check a cert chain and tries to
> create
> a correct one like outlined above such that the admin can take it after
> crosschecking
> and configure it just like today.

I would like to second that. Some adjustments in mod_ssl wrt chain
fixing (reordering, dropping self-signed root) is probably fine, but
let's not blow up the mod_ssl code unnecessarily. AIA chasing doesn't
belong there, IMO.

Kaspar