On 16 Jul 2014, at 18:34, Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> few days back I found that mod_autoindex seems to have a prob with multibyte
> chars in filenames; the trailing spaces seem to be calculated for the real
> string, but since they're finally displayed in the browser as one char this
> causes lack of spaces and the following data is misaligned ...
> I've seen this 1st with Windows and thought it might be because the
> filesystem uses another charset than httpd; but today I tested some more, and
> see same issue also on Linux:
> http://people.apache.org/~fuankg/testautoindex/
>
> I've not yet looked through mod_autoindex due lack of time, but I thought
> just I mention it here in case someone finds quickly a fix;
> affected are 2.2.x and 2.4.x and most likely trunk too.

This is a documented b^Hfeature: “HTMLTable … is necessary for utf-8 enabled
platforms or if file names or description text will alternate between
left-to-right and right-to-left reading order”

Changing the default IndexOptions (e.g. to include “XHTML HTMLtable
FancyIndexing”) would mitigate this.
I wouldn't change the default behaviour for 2.2.x / 2.4.x though.

--
Tim Bannister – is...@jellybaby.net