On Feb 19, 2015, at 8:04, Nick Gearl wrote
> Wrong answer: mod_macro uses the syntax $var but also ${var}, which is
> mandatory if you want the variable to be a part of a string, like in
> "${var}abc".
> The syntax really clashes with the Define directive, so it should be
> changed.

Actually it seems to me the parsing and subsequent configuration
handling works.  I have one server using the macro for seven virtual
hosts with no problems (although I must admit I do not use the define
directive).  The warning only appears as the macro definition is being
parsed and only appears once per variable regardless of how many times
it is used.

My naive approach would be to turn off the warning during any macro
definition parsing.  No new character need be used. (Note I have not
looked at the source code to see what is really happening.)

Best,

-Tom