On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> My point is that if we EOL 2.2 (with some definition of "EOL")
> then people on 2.2 (or earlier) will have some *real* incentive
> to move off of 2.2 towards 2.4 (or later)...
>
> Basically, we need something to "kick" people off 2.2
> and get them to 2.4. By stating that 2.2 will ONLY get
> security related fixes and no new features or improvements,
> and that 2.2 will be EOL by 201X, that will be encouragement.
> That, of course, assumes that we "care" one way or another
> about moving people to a more up-to-date and performant
> httpd, as well as whatever the future holds for httpd.
>
> FWIW: It was this month's PMC status report which kind of
>       spurred this email.

crazy and not-so-crazy ideas will speed the movement to 2.4 irrespective of
distro schedules (not sure how much :) )

* something like this (and well-publicized) for every Linux distro:
https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/apache2
(I don't think I'm doing many people a favor if I show configure
invocations when I talk about 2.4; for most people it isn't a good idea to
build httpd themselves)
* upgrade Saturdays: IRC 2.2->2.4 upgrade events once a month  (not to say
that isn't available already, but maybe there are psychological aspects of
this that drive upgrade)
* compelling documentation of use cases that feature 2.4; e.g., full
deployment templates that include 2.4 as one part
<<better ideas here>>

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/