On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

> On May 27, 2015 9:46 AM, "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> People here focus their energy on whatever they want.  It takes a small
> number of people to keep a stable branch going (technically 3, but in
> practice a slightly higher number).  Instead of the group choosing EOL or
> only-security-fixes-of-some-minimal-severity or something else for a stable
> branch based on what many people think is interesting to them for whatever
> reason, I think that the project should limit its concern to ensuring that
> the community understands the state of the branch and that it is EOL-ed
> when a sufficient number of people don't care.
> >
> > actually, "when a sufficient number of people don't care" is what I'm
> arguing against :)  make that "when an insufficient number of people care"
>
> +1, well thought out, aligns with the historical commentary (just some of
> which I pointed out in the historical data points post)
>
> >> What we need to know for the 2.2.x branch is basically this:
> >>
> >> Developers (committers or not):
> >>
> >> [ X ] I am willing to help resolve security issues in the 2.2.x branch.
> >> [ X ] I am willing to help address non-security issues in the 2.2.x
> branch.
> >>
> >> PMC members:
> >>
> >> [ X ] I am willing to test and vote on proposed 2.2.x releases.
>
> >> (This is not a call for vote; I'm suggesting a very different mindset
> towards 2.2.x from "nice to focus energy on" and "time to EOL 2.2 and focus
> on".)
>
> (:  Glad that others felt free to respond to this as a poll.

:)

The pseudo-poll was the clearest way I could think of to lay out my opinion
of what I think our criteria should be, and I didn't want to come across as
antagonistic anyway (random-emoticon)  But the several responses are useful
information.  Cut and paste at will!

I think there is a story in all of this for the greater community about our
(?) particular take on an open source project, pros and cons for

* individual developers
* different classes of users
* the httpd-of-Christmas-future,

our strong desire avoid unplanned obsolescence, our willingness to empower
even potentially small subsets of our developer community, etc.

(Meanwhile, somebody pinged me about mod_fcgid recently; apparently there
is some low-hanging fruit in Bugzilla and no any recent activity :( )

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/