On 27 Oct 2015, at 12:40 AM, Tim Bannister <is...@c8h10n4o2.org.uk> wrote:

>> That may not be easy.  You need to find someone who'll be interested in an
>> idea or patch, and has the time to review it.
>> Plus, the community as a whole to agree it's a good idea, or at least not
>> actively oppose it.
>>
>> I wonder if workflow would be improved if we had named maintainers for
>> particular parts of the codebase - for example individual modules?  Not
>> necessarily to do all the work, but to take primary responsibility to see
>> that your ideas don't just fall through the gaps and get ignored?
>
> How does the word “sponsor” sound?

It rhymes with “bureaucracy”. :)

Remember the end goal is to improve quality without causing stagnation, and
giving people the impression that they need to ask a “sponsor” first who may no
longer be involved with the project will cause that stagnation.

The most exciting work on httpd for me has been Christophe Jaillet’s memory
optimisation patches. With each patch the code gets cleaner and the server gets
faster. We need more of this kind of stuff.

Regards,
Graham
—