I think I just found the problem:

I thought that h2_h2.c, line 678 was no longer needed. But under some, still
unknown, conditions the post_read_req hook is called twice. That makes a table
overlay twice which results in all headers_out be present twice.

I will remove the filter again before installing it. Someday, I need to
understand the double invocation of the hook...

//Stefan