I can't... but you were explaining that I could just switch to the new
protocol after my request... which I can't.

I have to perform a full stop... which is a performance killer in a client
that is optimized for pipelining. (Serf and libsvn_ra_serf are 100%
optimized for pipelining)

That is why I want to upgrade on the first request.

At the start of any session we currently perform 2 requests with full stop
behavior, to support user scnearios:
* one to detect if we have HTTP/1.1 or HTTP/1.0.

This is an OPTIONS request with a small Content-Length body. This will
already hand over the capabilities of the Subversion server and some
interesting URLS. If we find an old server here, the full handshake will
have more requests.

* A second request with a small chunked body to see if the server supports
chunked encoding (assuming we found 1.1).
If users use an nginx frontend (which is not uncommon) this fails and we
explicitly cache all requests to have explicit Content-Length headers in
this case.

After this we have many different scenarios, of which many want to pipeline,
or open multiple connections as soon as possible.

For Subversion I would like to switch to H2c in one of these two requests.
The first one looks like the simplest one. (Combining upgrading with chunked
makes things even harder).

I can't store whether a server supports H2 and just use it. Subversion is
used on laptops that are used on multiple networks.

Receiving Alt-Svc in the first response and just pipelining the upgrade
between further requests if there is a match, is the only other way I could
upgrade without a performance penalty on all servers that don't support H2c.

        Bert