Hi Eric! Have you made these three steps ?

1. Make sure that http.conf.templ has all your changes ( concerning
MPM modules loading )

2. # generate httpd.conf

./configure.bash /path/to/apache/server/root

3. # run apache with new http do.conf

sudo /path/to/apache/install/prefix/bin/apachectl -f `pwd`/httpd.conf

Step one is not described at apache swat docs, probably I need to update this.