Wondering what other contributors are thinking on this topic.

We have a number of changes in the ABNF grammar between
RFC2616 and RFC7230..7235. Do we want trunk 2.6/3.0 to be
an entirely RFC723x generation server, and drop all support for
RFC2616?

Do we want to backport these changes to 2.4.x? If so, what
mechanism do we want to toggle the behavior of the server
between 2616 and 7230..7235?

We can presume a small performance hit in any conditional
operation, especially when those decisions apply to tight parsing
loop. Toggling between two different parser implementations would
probably be a bit more efficient than conditionals within a parser
itself.