On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM, Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2017, at 3:38 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>> That's a good overview... Yeah, it might be getter better, but it does
>> seem that the nature of the bugs implies it's also getting more
>> fragile. Could be, likely is, just my impression due to some weird
>> things I've seen lately on some testing.

We could make no improvement in trunk (bugfixes only) and have better
feeling, yet that's not how we'll make httpd-next...

Let's fix the bugs or revert if things really prove catastrophic, right?

> Pipelining support as it stands is really ugly.
>
> There is a point that is reached where we need to ask the question
> “is there more data available to read”, and if the answer is yes, we
> need to follow the pipeline path. We answer the question “is there
> more data available to read” by trying to read some data, and then in
> turn by tying ourselves in ugly knots trying to “unread” that data so
> the next request can work.

Are we talking about ap_check_pipeline()?

> I want to fix this properly so we don’t read data, we just get an
> answer “there is data to be read”.

Not sure I get the nuance, but "there is *HTTP* data to be read" (like
ap_check_pipeline() does) looks reasonable to me, unless we want
something like a "TLS close notify" (or trailing CRLFs) start a new
request processing which will fail (or block).

Regards,
Yann.