I configured CustomLog with a pipe:

CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -p local1.info -t apache2" combined

Now I start downloading a large file. During this download I gracefully restart Apache. The download continues of course. But when the download is finished I don't get an entry in the access log, instead I get this message in the error log:

(32)Broken pipe: [...] AH00646: Error writing to |/usr/bin/logger -p local1.info -t apache2

It looks like the graceful restart doesn't account for the /usr/bin/logger process still being required until the last worker finished. I.e. the graceful restart kills the running /usr/bin/logger immediately and starts a new one.

Is this something that can be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong here?