On 17.08.2017 19:21, Eric Covener wrote:
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 3:09 AM, Ewald Dieterich <ew...@mailbox.org> wrote:
I configured CustomLog with a pipe:

CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -p local1.info -t apache2" combined

I get this message in the error log:

(32)Broken pipe: [...] AH00646: Error writing to |/usr/bin/logger -p
local1.info -t apache2

Is this something that can be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong here?

I think it's a design problem. The last time it was discussed was
"rotatelogs and SIGTERM?
Is there a reason why CustomLog doesn't support logging directly to syslog like ErrorLog does? Like this:

CustomLog syslog:local1

That would solve my problem (I just want all access log entries to go to syslog) and also the log rotation problem since Apache wouldn't need to worry about this anymore. You could configure log rotation completely outside the scope of Apache.

One limitation that ErrorLog mentions is that the syslog facility is effectively global, but I don't think that would break the feature.

Would do you think? Are there any other problems with this approach?