> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 11:50:17AM +0100, Luca Toscano wrote:
> > From my point of view, adding a comment nearby a directive (except in
> some
> > cases like you explained above) should be totally safe and transparent to
> > the user. I haven't ever thought about the possibility that having a
> inline
> > comment could be dangerous, and in my opinion we should enforce this
> vision
> > and explicitly document when it is not possible it and why.
> >
> > The above is my naive view though (after working on this project for a
> very
> > short time) so I'd really like to know what's your angle about not
> > encouraging inline comments (pretty sure that there are use cases that I
> > didn't think of, and that might be good to be documented).
>
> I'd be fine with making in-line comments 100% safe (stripped)
> everywhere.  I'd think I'd also be fine with making inline comments a
> config error in all cases, or increasing the X% of cases where that's an
> error already.
>
> I'm not happy about increasing (but to still below 100%) the places
> where comments are silently stripped, leaving the remaining places where
> comments might be a security issue (as in Require host foo#bar).  I'm
> worried this will *increase* the risk of security issues as users become
> accustomed to using in-line comments.

Thanks a lot for the explanation, now I completely got what you mean. I was
convinced that inline comments were safe for all directives, and I think
that a lot of our users already think this too (I was pinged by a colleague
that was puzzled about the ServerAlias behavior). I came up with the
following code patch that introduces a new function in utils.c, heavily
inspired by your patches (I felt bad to say copy/pasted :) that could help:

http://people.apache.org/~elukey/httpd-trunk-core_server_alias_comment.patch

Still not 100% tested, but it seems to work for ServerAlias (might need
more development time, comments welcome!). Reviewing all the directives to
apply this though might become a big burden, and potentially introduce new
bugs in 2.4 that we don't want. On the other side, the simplest solution of
raising an error when inline comments are used might be better, but we'd
risk to break existing working configurations when users upgrade to the new
release..

I don't have a strong position on this, I am dumping thoughts more than
giving solutions, really interested in what others think.

Thanks!

Luca