>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 11:50:17AM +0100, Luca Toscano wrote:
>> > From my point of view, adding a comment nearby a directive (except in
>> some
>> > cases like you explained above) should be totally safe and transparent
>> > the user. I haven't ever thought about the possibility that having a
>> inline
>> > comment could be dangerous, and in my opinion we should enforce this
>> vision
>> > and explicitly document when it is not possible it and why.
>> >
>> > The above is my naive view though (after working on this project for a
>> very
>> > short time) so I'd really like to know what's your angle about not
>> > encouraging inline comments (pretty sure that there are use cases that I
>> > didn't think of, and that might be good to be documented).
>>
>> I'd be fine with making in-line comments 100% safe (stripped)
>> everywhere.  I'd think I'd also be fine with making inline comments a
>> config error in all cases, or increasing the X% of cases where that's an
>> error already.
>>
>> I'm not happy about increasing (but to still below 100%) the places
>> where comments are silently stripped, leaving the remaining places where
>> comments might be a security issue (as in Require host foo#bar).  I'm
>> worried this will *increase* the risk of security issues as users become
>> accustomed to using in-line comments.
>>

> Thanks a lot for the explanation, now I completely got what you mean. I
> was convinced that inline comments were safe for all directives, and I
> think that a lot of our users already think this too (I was pinged by a
> colleague that was puzzled about the ServerAlias behavior). I came up with
> the following code patch that introduces a new function in utils.c, heavily
> inspired by your patches (I felt bad to say copy/pasted :) that could help:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~elukey/httpd-trunk-core_
> server_alias_comment.patch
>
> Still not 100% tested, but it seems to work for ServerAlias (might need
> more development time, comments welcome!). Reviewing all the directives to
> apply this though might become a big burden, and potentially introduce new
> bugs in 2.4 that we don't want. On the other side, the simplest solution of
> raising an error when inline comments are used might be better, but we'd
> risk to break existing working configurations when users upgrade to the new
> release..
>
> I don't have a strong position on this, I am dumping thoughts more than
> giving solutions, really interested in what others think.

If anybody still has patience and wants to review some code, I tried to
update my patch to swap Joe's changes for forward_dns_check_authorization
with a call to ap_getword_conf_nocomment:

http://people.apache.org/~elukey/httpd-trunk-core_server_alias_comment.patch

Tried to test it with 'Require forward-dns' and it seems working fine..

Luca