On April 24, 2018 6:53:52 AM CDT, Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org> wrote:

>On 04/24/2018 01:19 PM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:

Yes, exactly correct. We have three "contracts" to keep that I think aligns
very well with the following semver "contracts":
Major => API/ABI compatibility for modules
Minor => Feature and directives
Patch => Functional and configuration syntax guarantees

Demonstrating by way of a few examples:
If we add a directive but do not change exported structure, that would result
in a minor bump since the directive is part of the feature set that would
necessitate a config change to use (not forward compatible).
If we were to fix a security bug that does not impact running configs, that
would be a patch bump since a config that works today must work tomorrow for
the same maj.min.
If we were to change default behavior, we would bump minor. This is because
although the change doesn't break existing explicit configs of the directive,
it would modify behavior due to implicit defaults => a visible change in
functionality.
Introducing H2 would have been a minor bump because it adds both new directives
and new functionality.
The switch from experimental to GA for H2 would have been a minor bump, not
because of functional changes, but because of a change in our "contract" to
users of code readiness.
Refactoring exported core structures for better H2 support would be a major
bump due to potential ABI breakage.
A bug fix that requires API changes and adds directives would still be a major
bump.
Experiments for major changes would be done in a testing branch and merged to
trunk as the next major.
A minor bump (feature/functional/etc) would be cut from current trunk while a
patch bump is made from the maj/minor it fixes (I haven't yet worked out what
this proposal would look like in svn)

In all cases, the changelog would clearly state the changes and we would ship
what we consider to be the best default config. Ideally, we would also point
the changelog entry to the SVN patches which implement the change so downstream
has an easier time picking and choosing what they want.

--
Daniel Ruggeri