FTR I support moving to this versioning model.

I tend to think the best way to accomplish it, is to "just start doing
it".   Tag 2.6.0.  Then tag 2.7.0 when there are new features, etc.
Of course, our versioning docs don't support this model, but the docs
are a reflection of reality 15 years ago more so than current
attitudes.  Make the docs reflect reality as it changes rather than
upfront votes unless absolutely necessary.

Is a vote like the above required to just start making minor releases
that contain new features, and making patch releases only contain bug
fixes?