> On 10 Oct 2018, at 20:28, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 10, 2018, at 3:01 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net
>> <mailto:wr...@rowe-clan.net>> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:45 PM Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com
>> <mailto:j...@jagunet.com>> wrote:
>> I thought the whole intent for a quick 2.4.36 was for TLSv1.3 support.
>>
>> If that's not ready for prime time, then why a release??
>>
>> AIUI, it isn't that httpd isn't ready for release, or even httpd-test
>> framework.
>> Until all the upstream CPAN modules behave reasonably with openssl 1.1.1
>> we will continue to see odd test results.
>
> The question is How Comfortable Are We That TLSv1.3 Support Is Production
> Ready?
>
> This release seems very, very rushed to me. It seems strange that for someone
> who balks against releasing s/w that hasn't been sufficiently tested, or
> could cause regressions, and that the sole reason for this particular release
> is TLSv1.3 support which seems insufficiently tested, you are
> uncharacteristic cool with all this.

Does the TLSv1.3 support need to be production ready?

TLSv1.3 is presumably an opt-in feature and as long as it doesn’t endanger
existing behaviours, I would have assumed it’s relatively safe to release with
caveats in the docs.
Of course, once there’s more take-up of TLSv1.3, then the test suite needs to
be useful. Getting real-world feedback about something completely new that
doesn’t endanger existing behaviours outside of TLSv1.3 is probably worthwhile.

- Mark